Why Get Involved?
• 1 in 5 babies is born to a mother without a high school diploma
• 24% of children under 6 live in poverty
• 30% of children under 6 live in single parent families
• 63% of children under 6 are in families where both parents work outside of the home
• Nearly 60% of all childcare centers pay preschool teachers between $6 and $8 per hour
• 56% of children in 5 year old kindergarten are on free or reduced priced lunch
• 21-41% of all kindergarten students do not consistently demonstrate skills needed for success in the 1st grade
Become A Partner
Many partners and organizations have supported First Steps’ efforts with generous donations of funds and volunteer time which allows First Steps to build on its ability to improve school readiness for young children
Give Your Time
To find out more about volunteer opportunities for young children in your community, contact Lancaster County First Step’s program staff at (803) 286-8000.
Mail your tax deductible check or money order to: Lancaster County First Steps / 121 South Wylie Street / Lancaster, SC 29720 or use the DONATE button at the top of the page to donate using PayPal.
Please contact our office at (803) 286-8000 for more detailed information on getting involved with Lancaster County First Steps and helping our county’s youngest and most at-risk citizens.